Exeter Chamber holds kickoff meeting for fall Scarecrow Contest
EXETER – Exeter is ready to give locals something to crow about.
The Exeter Chamber of Commerce is gearing up for fall and its 8th annual Scarecrow Contest, where businesses, individuals, and nonprofits hand make and display creative scarecrows throughout town to promote local tourism and its traditional Fall Festival event. Don’t be scared if you’ve never made a scarecrow by hand, as the Exeter Chamber has an event to help your effort stand out in the field. On Aug. 20, the chamber will hold a kickoff and information meeting for the contest rules and suggestions. The meeting will be held at 5:30 p.m. at Hometown Emporium, 145 E. Pine St. in Exeter.
This year’s theme is “Something to Crow About.” Here are a list of requirements for scarecrows:
- All scarecrows must be on display from Oct. 1 to Oct. 31.
- Business or organization must be an Exeter Chamber member and may only partner with a chamber member. Only Chamber members will be eligible for prizes.
- Scarecrows must be made from scratch. They cannot be made in a factory, warehouse or bought in a retail or wholesale outlet/store.
- They may be stuffed with any material and all parts should be attached securely. Flammable objects may not be used in the assembly.
- Scarecrows must be made in good taste. No entry will be accepted that reflects controversial, social or political situations.
Winning scarecrows will be selected by popular vote. You can cast your vote on the chamber’s website, by ‘Liking’ a photo of the scarecrow on the contest’s Facebook page or by paper ballot at participating businesses or the chamber office. The last day to register for the contest is Sept. 18. The last day to vote is Oct. 31. Winners will be announced at the Nov. 14 mixer at Exeter Raceway and Hobbies.
Photos of the scarecrows should be submitted to the chamber by Oct. 1. The Exeter Chamber has listed a few ideas to help you use the scarecrow to promote your business:
- Personalize your scarecrow to portray you, your business/organization or a local community figure.
- Make your scarecrow to show a product that you carry in your store.
- Partner with another Chamber member that compliments yours and fill up your storefront
- Encourages visitors to use your scarecrow as a photo spot.
- Share your ideas on Facebook page at www.facebook.com/exeterscarecrows.
The Exeter Chamber is not responsible for scarecrows while on display at your place of business. For more information call 559-592-2919 or visit www.exeterchamber.com.