P’ville College offering mid-Fall Community Education classes
Looking to learn something new? Porterville College Community Education Courses are designed to meet the needs of the community. These non-credit courses are designed to provide learning and enjoyment in a friendly, worry-free environment at a reasonable cost.
Current mid-fall offerings include: Exercise for the Community, Guitar, Community Ceramics, Fat Burning 101 and Zumba. Pre-registration is required for all classes.
• Exercise for the Community takes place now through Dec.12 on Mondays-Thursdays from 7-8 a.m. and 8-9 a.m. in Rm. FIT 751 in the Fitness Center. Cost is $80 per person. Join at any time. Cost of class is not pro-rated.
• Fat Burning 101 has multiple sessions for your convenience. This course is designed to teach members of the community to signal their body to burn fat; lose fat without losing muscle weight; do burst training exercise that melts fat off like butter; eat their way out of excess fat; achieve and maintain their healthiest body for life; analyze their ultrasound body composition; lower their risk for heart diseases, stroke, and diabetes; and to prepare simple snacks, drinks, and meals for a healthy family. Session 3: Oct. 21-Nov.14, (no class Nov 11th), Session 4: Nov. 18-Dec. 12, (no class Nov. 28 & 29). Classes take place Mondays-Thursdays from 4:20 p.m.-5:20 p.m. in Room: FIT 744. Cost is $40 per person, per session.
• Fun with Fingerstyle Guitar is a unique online class you’re sure to love. The class is currently going on now through Dec. 12 and is 2 hours per week. Cost is $95 per person. For more information visit the instructor’s website at www.tedwiseguitar.com.
• Get moving with Zumba and get fit while having fun. Zumba will take place Session 1: Now- Oct. 31, Session 2: Nov. 5-26 and Session 3: Dec. 3-19. Classes take place from 6:30 – 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays & Thursdays. Cost is $20 per person per session.
• Community Ceramics will take place November 5 – Dec. 10 on Tuesdays from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. in FA 104. This class includes learning techniques in hand-building, slab-building and wheel throwing. Supplies needed include 5 lbs. of clay (not included). Cost is $40 per person.
Register for classes in the Porterville College Business Office during business hours. For more information on Community Education Classes call 791-2492 or visit www.portervillecollege.edu/community_ed.
Foundation scholarship applications available
The Porterville College Foundation would like to announce that the application period for 2014 scholarships opened on Oct. 15. Scholarships are awarded on the basis of merit, academic excellence, and in some cases, additional criteria such as study in a particular major, leadership, or financial need. Eligibility requirements are:
• All applicants must have successfully completed a minimum of 12 units at
• Porterville College by the end of the Fall semester (semester in which the student is applying for scholarships).
• A minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA is required at the end of the Fall semester (semester in which the student is applying for scholarships).
• All applicants must complete the current Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the current scholarship application year.
• Note: A majority of the available scholarships require a 3.0 cumulative GPA or higher.
• Only regular admit students are eligible to apply.
Scholarships are limited so be sure to apply right away. Applications are available beginning Oct. 15 and the deadline to return your application is Nov. 14, 2013. The application will be available on the PC web home page. Applications must be returned directly to the Financial Aid Office. Late applications will not be accepted. Successful applicants will be notified in April. Payments are made in the fall following verification of eligibility. If you have scholarship questions regarding Porterville College scholarship opportunities please call (559) 791-2319.